Frequently Asked Questions regarding the Rental Registry
1) What is this registry and why was it set up?
The registry was established to support the goals of the Residential Quality Support Ordinance (213-024-O). The ordinance was crafted to help reduce chronic nuisance activity at residential rental properties through better communication between the City of Rockford and landlords.
2) What is the benefit to me?
You will receive automatic emails from the City whenever there is a Police or Fire incident at your rental property.
3) Why do I have to comply?
As a part of the Residential Quality Support Ordinance, the registry is mandated by law.
4) What needs to be registered?
Any residential rental property within the City limits. A rental registry property is any property on which one or more dwelling units are located that the owner thereof rents, either entirely or in part, to another person for occupancy as a dwelling unit.
5) What if I don’t comply?
Fines ranging from $50.00 to $750.00 per day for each property can be imposed.
6) What is the deadline to register?
March 1, 2014.
7) How can I register I don’t have access to a computer?
Friends, family, public libraries and community centers are often good resources for computers with internet access.
8) Where can I get help?
A Step-by-step guide can be found here.
9) How much does it cost?
There is no cost to use the system.
10) What information do I need to register?
- Property address
- Number of dwelling units
- Name, address, email address, and telephone numbers of the property owner and property manager or custodian.
11) Where do I register at?
12) Where can I find the ordinance?
13) Who do I contact if I have questions?
For Information regarding specific Police incidents, please refer to the following map which shows the Community Service Officer responsible for your area: Community Service Officer Map.
For questions directly related to specific Fire incidents at your rental property, call the Fire Prevention general number: 815-987-5660.
For general information, call the City of Rockford at 815-987-5700.